Dear readers, today I wanted to try my own version of the green mango salad and was able to pull it off with moderate success. No, actually you should be telling me if it’s a moderate or great success!
If you take a survey on the most favourite fruit, my humble opinion is that mango would come first. Most of us love mangoes, ripe or unripe, though they taste absolutely different. Coming to the nutritional aspect of green mango, it has certain health benefits the ripe one doesn’t have. Let’s look at some of them…
- Green mango is an excellent source of vitamin C and hence helps in better iron absorption and prevents anaemia.
- It is rich in antioxidants thus improving stamina, immunity and cardiovascular health.
- The pectin content and enzymes in green mango are beneficial in the treatment of gastrointestinal disorders like indigestion and constipation.
- It helps combat morning sickness in pregnant women.
- Green mango helps treat liver disorders as it triggers bile secretion and acts as an intestinal antiseptic.
- Being alkaline in nature, it helps control acidity.
- It prevents excessive water loss from the body during summer.
Now for the recipe.
You will need (to serve 4):
raw mangoes, medium size – 2
cucumber – 1
romaine lettuce – 1 small head
sunflower seeds – 2 tbsp
dates and dried apricots – 5 each
feta cheese – a few cubes, crumbled
For the dressing:
olive oil – 1 tbsp
honey – 2 tsp
chilli flakes – 2 tsp
dried oregano – 2 tsp
salt and pepper
- Prepare the dressing by stirring together all the ingredients until blended well.
- Peel the mangoes and using the peeler, shave off the flesh.
- Slice the mango shavings into thin strips.
- Slice the cucumber (with skin on), first into thin rounds and then into strips.
- Tear the lettuce leaves.
- Slice the dates and apricots.
- Combine all the ingredients along with the dressing.
This salad can become a wholesome food if you add some protein like cooked meat/ egg/ fish/ prawns or tofu/soya beancurd for vegetarians.
Do you find this recipe interesting? Please let me know through your comments.