When eating healthy becomes a priority, we’ll always be looking for ways to replace unhealthy ingredients in traditional dishes with healthier ones. I love these healthy versions of “creamy” soups not only for their texture and taste but also for the fact that by doing away with the cream, it also gives an opportunity to add healthy alternatives and hence, more nutrition. A filling and comforting meal, especially on a cold winter night this cream of cabbage soup without the cream has great potential for weight loss, too!
More healthy soup recipes you might like:
- Lentil turmeric soup
- Gluten-free red bean pasta soup
- Minestrone soup with Asian spices
- Chickpea soup
- Chilled cucumber herb soup
Recipe for cream of cabbage soup without the cream
Ingredients (4 servings)
- cabbage, chopped and loosely packed- 5 cups
- potato – 1 medium, chopped
- celery – 2 stalks, sliced
- onion – 1, chopped
- garlic – 3 pods, chopped
- cashews – 1/4 cup
- low-fat milk – 1/2 cup (cashew milk for a vegan recipe)
- butter – 2 teaspoons (olive oil for a vegan recipe)
- dried rosemary – 1/2 teaspoon
- dried oregano – 1/2 teaspoon
- salt and pepper
- water or stock – 2 cups
- cilantro – roughly chopped, 1/4 cup
- garlic croutons – 1/2 cup
- Heat butter/oil over medium heat in a heavy soup pot, add onions and garlic, stirring until soft for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, potato, celery and cashews, stir for 5 minutes.
- Add water or stock and the dried herbs, cook covered until the vegetables are tender, for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool the mixture and process using a blender until smooth.
- Transfer back to the pot, add milk, salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes or until the soup thickens.
- Add more stock or water if necessary, until you get the desired consistency.
- Top with cilantro and garlic croutons.
See here for cream of asparagus soup recipe. Without the cream, of course.