Does the thought of cooking up a curry intimidate you? Or do you think you can get delicious curries only at Indian or Thai restaurants? Then this recipe is for you.
This amazing 5-ingredient chicken curry can be done within 30 minutes (or lesser if pressure cooked), it is healthy (no coconut cream or any other cream) with lesser oil and salt and needs just five ingredients, er… okay, eight if you add salt, water and chicken. What more, the gravy can be made ahead and frozen, which makes it a perfect curry for meal prep.
Don’t you agree that simple things give us the most happiness?
I used to make this sumptuous chicken curry when I had to cook up a quick dish or when I don’t have enough stock of ingredients to make something else (just to prove myself that I’m resourceful). Since making this chicken curry a couple of times, it has become my family’s favorite. Now I cook this chicken curry at least once a week and we never get bored of it.
Have this 5-ingredient chicken curry with brown or red rice and some roasted veggies, you get a healthy, delicious, satisfying and wholesome meal in no time. And it’s a must-have recipe when trying to lose weight.
Recipe for 5-ingredient chicken curry
Ingredients (for 2 servings)
- Chicken thighs (or drumsticks or just any chicken pieces preferably with bones) – 500 grams.
- shallots – 1 cup, peeled and halved
- dry red chilies – 2, halved (can be reduced if you want it less spicy)
- ginger, peeled and chopped – 2 teaspoons
- garlic, peeled and chopped – 2 teaspoons
- cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
- salt – 1 teaspoon
- Heat half tablespoon of the oil in a pan and stir the shallots, ginger, garlic, cumin seeds and chilies in medium heat until the shallots are lightly browned.
- Cool the mixture and blend into a smooth paste.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan and stir in the blended paste, the chicken pieces with one and a half cups of water and salt.
- Keep covered and cook on medium flame for 15 to 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Optional – garnish with coriander leaves.
Now that you’re familiar with the 5-ingredient chicken curry, don’t let the thought of chicken curry intimidate you again!
This chicken curry can be cooked faster in a pressure cooker. After adding the chicken and water, transfer the contents to the pressure cooker, wait for it to reach high pressure, then simmer for just 5 minutes. Let it stand until the pressure is released. In this case, the quantity of water used should be lesser (1 cup for this recipe).