Fluffy quinoa with cheese, beans and vegetables is a delicious and healthy combo that makes your mouth water at the mere sight of it. And in the form of shallow-fried patties. Love it!
Quinoa is one of those super foods that is worth the hype and the cost. The nutty flavour, fluffy texture and versatile nature of the quinoa makes it a very attractive ingredient for cooking and a delicious one. Add to that its reputation as a complete protein with all nine essential amino acids in addition to antioxidants, fibre and lots of minerals and vitamins.
An ideal recipe for entertaining that appeals to children and adults alike, these quinoa patties can be prepared in advance and frozen. You just need to thaw for 30 minutes, then shallow-fry. The feta and cottage cheese used in this recipe are rich in calcium and are lower in fat and calories, making it a healthier choice. The quinoa and sprouted beans provide protein, energy and several vitamins and minerals, with added nutrients from vegetables.
You’ll love this recipe when you see the faces of the little diners lit up with joy at the first bite. After all, the joy of cooking is realized only when the diners enjoy your creation.
You might like my other interesting quinoa recipes as well- https://gohealthyeverafter.com/2018/11/20/3-bean-spicy-quinoa/
Recipe for cheesy quinoa patties
yield: 15 to 17 patties
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup sprouted moong beans
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon crumbled cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Wash and drain the quinoa and moong beans. Boil water in a deep pan and add the quinoa and the beans. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes until all the water is absorbed and the quinoa and beans are well cooked, almost mushy.
- Boil the green peas in water for 10 minutes, drain and coarsely mash with the back of a spoon.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a saute pan and fry the onions until transparent. Add the ginger and garlic pastes, saute for 5 minutes and add tomatoes, salt and chili powder. Saute until the tomatoes are cooked and mashed.
- Add the carrots and peas, saute for 5 more minutes and remove from heat.
- After the mixture cools down, add the quinoa and beans, egg, cheese and cilantro. Mix well.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Divide the mixture into 15 lime-sized balls, flatten them into patties and shallow fry in batches.
- Here I’ve used feta cheese cubes in herb-flavoured oil. Plain ones can also be used.
- The quinoa patties pair well with a coconut-walnut sauce:
Recipe for coconut walnut sauce
- 1/2 cup grated coconut meat
- 10 baked walnuts
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- salt to taste
Blend all ingredients using a blender into a smooth paste. Drizzle the coconut walnut sauce on to the cheesy quinoa patties or dunk the patties into the sauce and enjoy!