Tiger prawns baked with a home made tomato sauce and cheddar cheese in a casserole make an irresistible appetizer you can have for lunch or dinner. This appetizer is also great for entertaining since the sauce can be made ahead and frozen. Preparing the tiger prawns takes 10 minutes and baking the prawns with tomato sauce takes about 15 to 20 minutes. Which makes these tiger prawns baked in tomatoes and cheese a quick and easy party appetizer. Or even a potluck dish that looks amazing yet does not take much efffort as it seems to be.
Tiger prawns have a delicious buttery aftertaste that lingers in your mouth, leading to an unforgettable culinary experience if cooked the right way. These jumbo prawns are naturally succulent and juicy, making it a great ingredient in a baked dish.
This recipe combines the tiger prawns with tomatoes and cheddar making it even juicier and more delicious. As you can see, you don’t even need much cheese to get that creamy experience.
Prawns are good sources of protein, healthy (omega-3) fats and many vitamins and minerals, like the B-vitamins, iron, phosporus, zinc and selenium, yet are low in calories. However, they contain a high amount of cholesterol and should be consumed in moderation.
These simple and delicious tiger prawns baked in tomatoes and cheese can be prepared within minutes which make them ideal as an appetizer for a weekend party or can be enjoyed hot and fresh with stir-fried chicken or easy frittata with brown rice on a winter night as a comfort food. This recipe can be easily multiplied for any number of people. These baked tiger prawns literally swimming in tomatoes and cheese are quite versatile, you can make them spicier or cheesier according to your preference. The secret to the explosive flavor is the cilantro-tomato combination, apart from the tiger prawns, of course.
Recipe for tiger prawns baked in tomatoes and cheese (serves 3 as an appetizer)
- 10 tiger prawns
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 dry red chili or 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese
- salt to taste
- Remove head and claws from the prawns, keeping the shells and tails intact. Devein and wash. Cut slits along the length of the prawns on the inner side from head to tail, taking care not to cut through so that the prawns are still intact.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, saute the chili/flakes and onions for about 3 minutes, then add the tomatoes. Simmer until the tomatoes turn mushy for about 10 minutes. Cool the mixture and blend into a paste along with the cilantro stalks.
- Butter an oven-proof dish and spread out the prawns in a single layer. Cover entirely with the tomato paste as seen in the picture. Sprinkle cheddar cheese and cilantro on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Tiger prawns baked in tomatoes and cheese are ready to be served.