Juicy bite-size chicken pieces in a delicious yellow sauce made of just 7 everyday ingredients that can be cooked in less than an hour. A simple, healthy recipe that elevates a cheap cut of meat into something spectacular. The best part of this pepper mustard sauce is that it doesn’t need any thickening agents like cream or flour since the pepper makes it thick and so it is healthier, vegan and gluten-free, too.
The very sight of the luscious sauce with its bright yellow hue can really perk up your mood and your appetite. That makes it a perfect dish for a weeknight dinner when you want to cook up a quick, healthy dish with minimum fuss, especially when everyone is hungry and waiting for food. Have this pepper mustard chicken with a bowl of brown rice, bread or naan.
That being said, it doesn’t mean that you can’t cook this for parties and occasions. This recipe has all qualities of being the star of the show- looks, taste, cooking time and ease of preparation.
The lemon-mustard flavor
Ever since I started cooking this baked fish with lemon mustard glaze, the Dijon mustard-lemon combination has topped the list of my favorite flavors. Add to it juicy yellow peppers, onion and garlic, you get a sauce to die for. It is spicy, tangy and fruity balanced with a tinge of sweetness.
Why use peppers with chicken?
The moisture in the peppers, along with the yogurt help keep the chicken soft and moist. Chicken breasts tend to dry out while cooking, since they don’t have much fat to keep them moist. You can do one of these 3 things to keep the chicken moist and juicy:
- Use chicken pieces with bones, skin and fat.
- Use a lot of fat like butter and cream for cooking.
- Cook juicy vegetables like bell peppers with the chicken.
This recipe uses the healthiest option of the three.
7 ingredients – Yellow peppers, onions, garlic, Dijon mustard, Greek yogurt, green chili, lemon juice and zest – are all you need to put together this yummy bright yellow sauce. Blend all the ingredients except the Greek yogurt into a smooth paste.
How to cook chicken in pepper mustard sauce
Chop the chicken breast into 2-inch pieces and season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Heat oil, stir in the chicken pieces and cook covered for 10 minutes or until all the pieces turn white.
Remove the chicken pieces and heat 1 tablespoon of butter in the same pan, add the blended pepper-mustard paste and simmer for 15 minutes on low heat. Add the chicken pieces and yogurt and let it simmer for another 10 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve right away.
Can we call this ‘a sauce in a hurry’? Whatever we call it, this sauce is bound to be a super hit recipe in your menu.
Chicken in yellow pepper mustard sauce
Juicy bite-size chicken pieces in a delicious yellow sauce, one of the easiest and healthiest 'made from scratch' sauce recipes using fresh vegetables.
- 500 grams boneless chicken breast
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 big white onion or 2 small ones
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 green chili
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- zest of half lemon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- a dash of pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- Chop the chicken breast into 2-inch pieces and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Leave it to marinate until you get the sauce ready.
- Roughly chop the onions, garlic, yellow pepper and chili pepper. Place them in a food processor or blender jar along with Dijon mustard, lemon zest and rest of the salt and lemon juice. Blend until you get a smooth, bright yellow paste.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add the marinated chicken pieces. Cook covered on medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes until all the chicken pieces turn white.
- Remove the chicken pieces and melt butter in the same pan. Stir in the sauce and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the chicken pieces and yogurt and cook for another 10 minutes on low heat, until the sauce reaches the desired consistency. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
- Do not skip the yogurt. It gives a creamy consistency to the sauce you don’t want to miss.
- If you have the time and energy, you can roast the bell pepper before blending. It gives an interesting twist to the flavor of the sauce.
Here are some awesome chicken recipes you might want to try: